Tuesday, October 29, 2013

No Topic Tuesday

I used to do No Topic Tuesday on here (alright, so I did it twice... and one of the times was on a Wednesday), so let's bring it back this week. I've got a small smattering of things to talk about.

The first thing is about girls, and one of the large characterizations of their kind. I'm not sure if it's a confidence issue or a preconditioning issue, but it really doesn't seem to like a girl ever goes out of her way to show a guy that she's interested. Girl might react positively when guy reaches her way, but it doesn't seem that girl will ever make that first move. Even with girl and guy are talking regularly the girl always seems to be emit friend only fragrances until guy makes a move. Is that because the girl doesn't want to get shut down? Or is it just because they don't think they're supposed to act a different way? I mean there are exceptions, but really for me only one girl comes to mind. Honestly it's probably better this way because from what I've noticed, guys aren't very selective with girls. Any guy will date any girl as long as she the least bit attractive to him. Fortunately that's never been the case with me, but if girls were just going after guys all the time they'd probably get them a lot of times and a bunch of really shitty relationships would start.

Second thing is about sports and sports writing, again. My boy from the Trib Dejan Kovacevic wrote this article about what to do if you're a young person aspiring to be a sports writer. I really liked this piece of advice from him:

"If you’re interested because you want to write about sports, get out. Find something else to do. You will fail, and you will fail quickly and miserably. The job is about journalism, not about being pals with your favorite teams or athletes. The passion has to be for journalism, for reporting and writing and editing and taking pics and page-designing or whatever your specialty."


It seems to be that the thing young people are most opinionated about in general is sports. You know why that is? Because sports are senseless, simple, and frivolous. Also, a lot of young people are also senseless, simple, and frivolous, it's a perfect fit! I've grown to have so much respect for people that have serious opinions and passion for anything that's not simple like sports - I wish I had more passion for such things myself. Anyways, Dejan makes a fantastic point. You'll never be successful in working in sports if you just have passion for sports. Almost everyone loves sports, and almost everyone can talk about sports to some extent. They might sound like idiots, but they can talk about it nonetheless. If people don't have a unique way to get points across and differing perspectives to look through, they'll just be some other average Joe sitting on his couch on Sunday yelling at the TV.

This applies to more than sports too. If you want to succeed in something, you can't do it like everyone else does. There are almost 8 billion people in the world, and there aren't nearly that many different things to do with life. You can't beat someone by copying them, you have to set yourself apart in some way. Following the trend and aping other people isn't going to get you very far.

I've also decided that one thing I really want to do in my life is speak in front of people. I'm not really sure what I'll speak about or who I'll speak about it in front of, but I've always really loved public speaking. Unfortunately there's really not a career for "public speaker" unless you've done something first which makes people want to listen to what you have to say. I've been thinking about writing a book and then speaking to people about what I wrote in my book, but I don't really have any idea what direction I would go in if I did want to write a book. So there's some definite roadblocks there, but I'm still young and I have time to figure all this stuff out.

Being passionless really sucks. I've done it most of my life and I'm kind of sick of it. I thought I had a passion for awhile but that kind of fell apart. Being 20-something is fun and all, but the whole part of not knowing where you wanna be in 10 years is frustrating. Luckily I have a lot of patience, a lot of confidence, and a good head on my shoulders.

0 comments:

Post a Comment