Thursday, April 3, 2014

128 Hours

The whole education system is about getting you to a place where you can excel after you graduate. But ‘excel’, they mean you can make enough money to support yourself and eventually a family while not completely hating your life at work. If you chose the right major, that’s not very hard to reach, in fact it’s really easy, especially if you have some people skills.

Choosing the right major can be tough though. I’ve come to realize that no 18 year old kid knows anything about life and they really shouldn’t have all the say in what major they choose. If it had been up to me I would have majored in Sports Broadcasting in college and I’d be living with my parents for the next couple years because I’d never have enough to money to pay off student loans and pay rent at the same time. What really killed me in college was seeing some of the people that did major in Sports Braodcasting and majors like that. It’s hard enough to get jobs in those fields even when you’re really good at it, but some of those people were just miserable at it. Do people still operate under the idea that “you can be whatever you want to be”? Because you can’t, you just can’t.

If you’re on the basketball team and you never get in the game, there’s probably a reason for that. You can fuss about it all day, but it’s your own fault for spending time on something you’re no good at. Why’s it such a negative thing to say shit I’m terrible at this thing, I’m going to go do something I’m not terrible at it so I have a shot. There’s something to be said for PRACTICE and HARD WORK and that balogna, but there’s even more to be said for just starting out with talent and using that headstart to get somewhere. If you’re the 10th man off the bench, don’t worry about it, just quit. If you love it too much to quit, stop loving it and quit anyway.

I don’t think happiness in life comes from career success anyways. There are too many people that sit in cubicles for 40 hours a week to believe that none of them are truly happy. A desk job can’t possibly bring true happiness, I just won’t believe that. Happiness comes from the other 128 hours in the week. It comes from the relationships you have and the time you spend on things you choose. If you’re lucky enough to find a job in the thing you love (or just to love something that’s a common job), then that’s great for you, don’t brag about it to me though because that would make me jealous and really piss me off.

The frustrating thing about my life isn’t that my job is dull, it’s that I haven’t been able to use those other 128 hours to their full potential yet. The thing I miss most about college is just having people to talk to around me all the time. Having one interesting, genuine, funny conversation can make an entire day for me, and I’d take having more of those over having a job that I liked more any time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment