Monday, April 22, 2013

For the thrill of it

It has been far too long since I've written on here, and I can say I've got quite a bit to say this morning.

Let me start with some good news. Last week I was offered a full-time job as an entry-level database administrator. The job is in the North Shore of Pittsburgh, an absolutely perfect location for me, and I am very excited about starting work there and seeing how far I can go. Now that's a good story right? A college kid getting starting a full-time job in his field days after he receives his diploma? Sure it is. What I'm about to tell you is probably going to make that story much less inspiring.



People always say that if you work really hard, you can be successful, but you have to work really hard. Well I've never really worked hard at much of anything in my life, especially school. And look at me now, one of the only Waynesburg University seniors with a full-time job offer before graduation. People that busted their ass for 4 years of college and have been on the Dean's List every semester don't have jobs. I half-assed assignments, skipped classes, made more jokes than correct answers in discussion, and I'm doing just fine, in fact I'm doing better than almost every else around me. I can attribute that to my major, frankly there are a ton of jobs and anybody with a degree and the ability to communicate effectively can get a job right out of school (there just aren't a whole lot of people that can do that). If I were a bio-chem major or whatever and I didn't work really hard in school, I might not be doing as well. But for now I'm here to say that you don't always have to work really hard to get somewhere in life. It's certainly beneficial to put in the work, but not always completely necessary. I say pick the things that you know will have a direct impact on your future, and work really hard on those things. There's no need to waste entire weekends on research papers for general education classes, just get them done and don't worry about getting A's on everything. Enjoy your time in college and learn to deal with people, because those skills are infinitely more important than knowing how to balance a chemical equation or derive a function in 3-dimensional space.



The rest of this has to deal with romantic relationships, because I just keep getting more and more ideas about those things. Let me drop a disclaimer in here and say that I fully realize that someone that's not in a relationship and hasn't been in one may not have the most objective views of things. Relationships are driven by emotion, so taking advice about them from someone that hasn't experienced that emotion in a good amount of time probably isn't in your best interest. So just consider this me giving my opinion; I'm not pushing it on anybody. This opinion could change very quickly - I do realize that.

Through high school and college you see more dysfunctional relationships than you see functional ones. That's because our generation is maturing very slowly and we let emotions put a big nasty cloud over a beautiful little thing that is logic and reason. People stay in abusive relationships, they put up with being cheated on, and more crap like that. Then they want people to feel bad for them for being treated poorly. Here's my theory. You only deserve what you choose to put up with. If you don't value yourself enough to get out of a relationship that isn't treating you well, then maybe you don't actually deserve to be treated well. Is that ridiculous? Nah.



Lots of people have been getting engaged recently around Waynesburg. That's expected, since this our last semester here and people are going to move away from here, where they've been living for four years. People fall in love with other people I guess... I don't know I wouldn't know anything about that. But when they do, they want nothing but to be with that person for the rest of their life. That's good, I have no problem with that at all. What I don't really understand is the apparent rush that everybody feels to get a ring on the girl's finger. What's so bad about dating for a few years until both of you are out of school and have jobs and can actually start thinking about paying back some student loans before being bombarded with the cost of a wedding and everything that goes with it? I suppose you can be engaged for awhile without having to actually get married, but I feel like not a lot of people do that. There's a couple here where the girl is a junior and the guy is a sophomore, and they just got engaged. That seems ridiculous. At least wait until ONE of you is close to graduating or whatever. Anyways I'll just quit talking, because again I'm not in the position to accurately judge this, and I'll probably just end up pissing off someone who is engaged and in college and reading this. If you are one of those people, just take this opportunity to belittle me in your head and feel above me.

Okay time to go to 24th to last college class ever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment